Warm Asparagus Salad
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
* 1 small onion, cut in half and sliced thin
* 2 TBS light vinegar (rice, apple cider, or white wine)
* 1 cup hot water
* 1 bunch asparagus
* 3 TBS low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
* 7½ oz jar of roasted red bell peppers, drained and slivered (or 2 medium red bell peppers, sliced thin)
* 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
* 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
* salt and black pepper to taste
1. Slice onion and place in a small bowl with vinegar and hot water while preparing rest of the ingredients.
2. Heat 3 TBS broth over medium heat in a stainless steel skillet.
3. While broth is heating, snap off the woody bottom of asparagus stems, then cut the spears into 2-inch lengths. Cutting them into short pieces of equal length ensures quick, even cooking.
4. When broth begins to steam, add asparagus. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. The outside will be tender and the inside will be crisp. Thinner spears will take about 3 minutes.
5. After about 10 minutes, remove onion from hot water and squeeze dry.
6. Mix together roasted peppers with marinated onion, asparagus, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Marinate for 4-5 minutes and serve warm.
Optional: If you use fresh red bell peppers, Healthy Sauté them for 7 minutes and toss with rest of ingredients in place of roasted peppers.