Jamie Oliver's Red Pepper Soup
(San Diego, California)
Makes approx. 4 servings
3 red bell peppers, chopped
1 med. onion, chopped
1 med.potato,peeled and diced
1 cup of pureed tomatoes
600ml vegetable stock
1/2 cup of single cream (you could also use a 'light' cream)
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
2 tsps smoked paprika
A little olive oil and salt and pepper to season
1. Add a couple of dashes of olive oil to a large saucepan. Gently fry the onion,garlic and chilli for about 5mins before adding the chopped peppers.
2. Fry the mixture over a low heat for about 15mins or until peppers are nice and soft.
3. Add the smoked paprika along with the cubed potatoes and fry for another minute or so.
4. Pour in the pureed tomatoes and stock, bring to the boil then simmer the soup gently for about 15mins.
5. Pour the soup into a blender (in 2 or 3 batches) and blend at high speed till smooth and silky. Add the cream to the last batch of soup.
6. Reheat a little if necessary. If you prefer, you can serve this soup ice-cold with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, perfect for hot weather :)