½ cup urad dal (Whole black lentils)
2 tbsp rajma (Kidney beans)
2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
Pulp of 3 medium sized fresh tomatoes
2 green chillies slit
¼ tsp haldi powder (Turmeric powder)
½ tsp jeera (Cumin seeds)
1 tsp chilli powder (Chilli powder)
2 tsp dhania powder (Coriander powder)
½ tsp garam masala
1-2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup cream
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves chopped (Cilantro) and 1-2 tbsp butter for garnish
1. Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight separately. Drain and keep aside.
2. Combine the dals and add 2 cups of water with little salt (as per taste) and pressure cook till the dals are overcooked. Whisk well till the dal is almost mashed.
3. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds crackle, add the slit green chillies, chopped onions, ginger paste and garlic paste. Fry the onion till golden brown over a medium flame.
4. Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and stir for 5 mins.
5. Add tomato pulp and stir till the oil separates.
6. Add the cooked dal and 3/4 - 1 cup of water and salt (as per taste) simmer it for 15 mins till it becomes little thick.
7. Add the garam masala and stir.
8. Add the cream and mix gently.
9. Garnish with the chopped coriander and butter.
10. Serve with steamed basmati rice or phulkas (rotis).