5 Spice Chicken in Broth
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
* 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz each), cut in 2-inch pieces
* 4 cups chicken broth
* ½ inch sliced fresh ginger, sliced (or ½ tsp dried ginger)
* 6 whole cloves
* 2 cinnamon sticks
* 5 star anise
* ½ tsp dried fennel seeds
* 1 medium-sized onion, chopped in big pieces
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped in big pieces
* 6 whole medium dried shiitake mushrooms
* 1 lb green beans, ends cut off
* ½ cup minced scallions
1. Chop onion and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health-promoting benefits.
2. Healthy Sauté onion in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add chicken broth, ginger, cloves, cinnamon stick, star anise, fennel seeds, and shiitake mushrooms. Turn heat to medium-high and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. While broth is simmering, cut ends off beans and cut into 1-inch pieces.
4. Strain broth mixture (saving shiitake mushrooms) and put liquid back into pan. Bring to a boil and simmer on high heat with chicken pieces and green beans. You may need to skim the surface a little while chicken pieces are cooking. Slice shiitake mushrooms and add to chicken and broth. Add scallion as well as salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with brown rice. For optimum flavor and nutrition serve with:
(Source: George Mateljan, Mateljan Foundation)